When children, youth and adults come to HMC, a new range of possibilities and experiences open up for them.
When you support HMC, you become part of their journey.
While we have a set of fixed outcomes in the sense of our program numbers, HMC provides much more than just a rowing or sailing class. In particular, our participants often experience:
- a direct connection with the sea and the opportunity to enjoy this natural and wonderful environment
- a new set of skills that challenges them both physically and mentally
- the opportunity to learn how to safety recreate in the open water setting and pass on these skills to peers and future generations
- a chance to make new friends and socialize with different people
The outcomes our programs provide have a sustained impact on those we reach. We hear from our participants and supporters again and again about the positive impact that HMC has had on someone’s life:
- a parent who talks about the increase in confidence his child has gained from learning to sail;
- a young mother who, inspired by her 80-year old boat mate, discovers a life-long activity that provides her exercise, camaraderie and peace of mind;
- the teenagers who learn the values of teamwork and dedication as members of the high school rowing or sailing teams.
- The business man who, as a teen, learned to sail at Lincoln when we first began in 1971, and now serves as a volunteer board member for Hingham Maritime in order to ensure that future generations have the same opportunity.
- A high school rower or sailor who continues to pursue these sports at the collegiate level, thanks to the home that HMC provides for the HHS programs.
Please join our journey and support us in our mission to provide boating for all!
ABOUT OUR WORK
HMC offers everyone the opportunity to take advantage of our seaside location, even if they have never sailed or rowed before, with our many programs and clinics. Financial assistance is available for those who cannot afford the full cost, making the sea accessible for everyone who has the desire to get out there, regardless of financial circumstances.
Beginner youth sailors, ages seven and up, start in our Opti classes, a safe and fun introduction to the sport of sailing. Our fleet of turnabouts allow children to grow with the program and our 420 fleet provides more advanced sailing and racing opportunities for our youth sailors, with many of whom compete in local regattas. A wide range of sailing classes is also available for beginner through advanced adult sailors and we have over 200 youth and adults sail with us each year.
Our rowing program offers a similar experience to our sailing programs, where we offer both adult and middle school rowing classes on a four season basis. Our varied fleet of both sturdy open water boats, skill based small boats and sleek racing shells offer us the diversity to cater to a wide variety of skill and ability at both the youth and adult level. HMC first introduced rowing to Hingham Harbor in 2003 and since that point, the sport has grown from strength to strength.
In our 45 years of operating in the harbor, we have taught thousands of children and adults how to sail and row and hopefully helped engender a love of the sea and our harbor.
Please help us sustain this success story and support our work, so that we can continue to offer Boating For All!
Support this work
Since 1971, Hingham Maritime Center has been committed to our vision of community access to Hingham Harbor for all through accessible sailing and rowing programs. As a 501(c)(3) organization, we depend on the support and generosity of area residents, businesses and organizations to connect thousands of children and adults with the sea. We operate under the guidance of a dedicated volunteer board of directors who represent our community and share our love of Hingham Harbor and passion for boating.
You can support our work in many ways, either with volunteer time and energy or by providing financial support for what we do. Your financial support is sought for two key funds:
-Our Annual Fund, “Boating for All”
-Our Capital Campaign, the “Anchor Fund”
Both of these funds represent the balance between HMC’s present and future needs. If you are able to get on board with either initiative, please click the links to read more or click below to make an online donation. You can also click here to find out about other ways to give and support our important mission.